Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I am not cut out for this...

I hate the cold. I hate the cold all most as much as I hate doing my taxes. And so far there is only one thing I can fix. Yep, I can pay someone to do my taxes.

I bring this up today not because it is winter and we need more things to complain about, but because I have no heat in my truck and I have no heat at work right now either. So I am a meat popsicle. But times like this get me wondering, what did people do before forced air heating? And I know people are going to say wood burning stoves, I have done my time with those as well. I learned to cook on one. But before that, what did people do?

They moved! Back in the day before we humans became domesticated, we got our shit together and moved to warmer climes when winter showed up. They didn't have to worry about their appendages freezing off. It really kinda stinks that we have put down the roots that we have. We can't just pack everything up and pick a direction and start walking. Nope. Why? Because we have this huge things that are almost impossible to move. We have built houses and buildings that keep us stuck in one place. Now I am not saying that life was easier before buildings, or heat. Just different. Before we had desk jobs, we were more active and able to keep warmer easier.

Maybe. It could all just be me thinking that since it is cold right now, and I am not comfortable, that life before modern conveniences was better. Maybe it is just the fact that my neurons aren't firing right because I can't feel my ears. I am having to re-train my fingers to type in gloves. And I can't hear the phone over the space heater that rattles like it is about to die.

On the bright side, our office heat will be fixed this afternoon, and I have many many layers...

No comments:

Post a Comment