Monday, January 30, 2012

Of mice and men....

So I spent the weekend with my husband vending at the Colorado motorcycle show and swap. It's always and interesting experience. I like getting to see people that I only get to see once a year, and it also gives me time to get in some grade- A people watching.

I find people fascinating. I think that our behaviors speak loudly about who we believe we are. If we believe ourselves to be confident, then we tend to walk a bit differently, we do not need to rely on flash to bring attention to ourselves. If we are shy, we carry our shoulders a bit lower. If we are insecure we feel the need to group together to validate ourselves.

At times we try really, really hard to make it seem like we don't care. We want certain labels, yet we don't want to be labeled. People go out of their way to seem indifferent. They seem to think that their outward presentation is accurate, and true. For some it is, for others it is an attempt to blend and yet stand out at the same time. Both men and women are guilty of this but in entirely different ways.

Men want other men to pay attention to them, and they want them to envy what they have. Be it a car, a girl or even clothes. Men have taken this so far as to say, 'If you're not wearing what we are wearing, then I am better than you.'  Men who need to cling to objects, or symbols, seem to be the ones saying "Look at me, but don't notice me"

Women have a few of the same wants, but also a very twisted way of playing the game. Women will dress provocatively, and then get upset when someone looks in their direction, or makes a comment. I know this for a fact. I used to do this when I was younger. I have since grown out of this, but I see many, many women who haven't grown out of this phase. And it shows.

If you don't want people to pay attention to you, then don't do anything to draw attention to you. If you don't care, then just do what you have been doing. If you want people to notice you, then don't get all pissy when they do, remember you wanted their attention in the first place.

So starts off the beginning of my people watching for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment