Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The First Snow..

Makes me all warm and fuzzy. That is until I have to go outside. Shit, I hate having a big ass truck and having the mile long scraper brush that is buried under all of the convention stuff. By the time I manage to get the scraper pulled halfway out, it has made its intentions perfectly clear...It's not moving anymore. So I fight the good fight and get it pushed back in most of the way, at least the back door will still close so the small amount of heat that is generated by the engine is not immediately sucked away.

But enough about my morning. The first snow always seems to motivate me in a way that not much else can. I think to myself, 'How nice would it me to sit at home on the couch and crochet a big ass blanket.?' Then I decide it sounds like a fabulous idea, and make my way to the yarn barn, or where ever else sells those fantastic spools of unfinished projects, and manage to find the most fluffy, comfortable, expensive, colorful, pain in the ass yarn to work with. It just happens that I have the kind of taste that you need vodka to wash out of your mouth when it comes to picking out easy to work with yarns.

Then, of course my fancy turns to Yule presents...Ah, crap. I have no idea what I am going to do this year! Full on panic mode sets in. I start spending more time in craft stores then I do at home. My husband has to confiscate the credit cards, and eventually he will send out a search party...I will settle on a small project where I can make the most presents with the least amount of capitol. Because for me, gifting someone is all about the thought that you put into the gift for that person. I would much rather have something small and handmade over something huge and store bought. One of my favorite gifts ever, is a set of crocheted tree ornaments made by my dear friend Renee. I love those damn things.

So over the last few years, as soon as the snow starts to fall, I have directed my thoughts towards the whimsicle fuckery that will be my presents for my friends and family for that year. Last year it was hand painted ornaments. I think the year before that was homemade canned stuff, and I can't remember what I did before that. I think I went a bit crazy and made a metric ass load of blankets. Now my problem seems to be, 'How in this fresh hell do I top last years gifts?' I may just see what I have laying around my house and threaten whatever I can find with my glue gun.

So as the snow flies, and I loose my mind, I would like take a moment and breathe one last sane breath before I decide that it really is a good idea to give bedazzled willy warmers to everyone for the holidays....

No comments:

Post a Comment