Thursday, October 20, 2011

So, How much do you think your soul is worth?

So there have been some major changes in my office over the last 3 weeks, and I am seriously struggling to decide how much my soul is worth, and by that I mean how much shit am I willing to put up with for my current paycheck. Now don't get me wrong, for the most part I like my day job, and I like the steady check, but where does one draw the line? How much are skills worth now? When I look at the Jobs on Craigslist, I see people who want a freakin' Bachelors degree for a $10 per hour desk job. And while I do realize that this is an employers market, I think the expectations are getting just a bit ridiculous. Soon they'll be asking for a Masters to flip a fuckin' burger.

So I have to decide if coming home and being in a shitty mood for the rest rest of the day is worth that steady check at a job that I used to love the hell out of. I still love my job for the most part, and it is not the day to day activities, but rather the people who pile on more work, and turn every little thing into a major emergency. When they want something done, they want it done now. It doesn't matter if you are in the middle of a call with a customer, or if you have a 3 foot tall stack of paperwork that you are trying to get done so you don't end up being behind. Hell, I can even understand when they need to have a report run, that just takes a few seconds. But what hits me in the head is when they talk to your customers and don't tell you all of the information you need to get your job done. Then ultimately you wind up looking like a total douche canoe.

I keep hoping that the atmosphere will settle, and while I realize that not even I am immune to change, I think I would like those who are trying to make the changes to think first before giving unrealistic demands. Hell, maybe this is just a short term thing, and I am getting worked up over nothing. I just want to go to work and do my job. I don't want to do your job, or your secretaries, or your GPS', or even your concierge. If I am going to wear all of these hats, then I think that my 'soul' is worth quite a bit more than you currently do.

No comments:

Post a Comment