Friday, October 14, 2011

Occupy This!

I noticed when the people took over Wall Street. I glanced as they stayed for days. I was amused when they decided to take over Denver. I watched as they erected tents and a food stand. I listened to what I could hear about the protest. I smiled at the fact that these people, whatever they stand for, are exercising their rights as American Citizens. I wished at times that I could join them. I hoped that a message would be heard by our government. I thought maybe that they would finally listen to the rest of us who have had enough. I thought maybe they would take a look at the banks that received bail-out money, then took peoples houses when they had been given bad loans. I hoped that they would understand that capitalism is self correcting, those that can't make it, won't.

I listened when our Governor, who grew tired of having a tent city on his front yard, tried to enact a curfew. I noticed when the people didn't move. I applauded the fact that they were able to make their voices heard, while I had to put in overtime at work to make the bills. I wondered how long this would go on, and how many people in the end would take to the streets. I admired their stamina. I hoped that maybe there were enough people in this town that would care enough to join and make their voices heard as well. I had imagined that more people my age had finally been fed up, and pissed off. I watched as their numbers swelled to over 1,000. I waited for more.

I watched this morning as the State Patrol, and the Denver PD moved in to break up the tent city. I listened as the newscasters just wanted this to be over so people weren't late for work. I heard a few shouts as the state patrol, in full riot gear pushed people out of their camp. I hoped that it was just temporary. I watched as they moved the people across the street. My heart sank when I heard that the Governor has closed the park indefinitely by executive order. I thought about all the ways that rights were infringed. I whimpered as the tent city was torn down and thrown in city dump trucks. As I listened to the radio today, I cried. I cried because I watched as our elected officials removed themselves as the voice of the people.

I raged because I realized that the people who put themselves out there to be a part of the protest, are looked down on, and mocked. They are belittled and patted on the head like a kid who did something stupid. And I raged because I have noticed that far too many people have given in. They have given their minds over to the politically correct, they are on the way to loosing what is left of the only thing you truly own.

And I think I will just leave this here...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if it will ever come down to armed revolt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I just wish that more people would pay attention to what is going on.

    ReplyDelete