Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Christmas in July...

Maybe you have noticed, maybe you haven't, maybe you live under a rock. But the holiday shopping season is getting earlier and earlier every year. Before long we will be pressured into shopping for next year on Christmas eve. I was kinda surprised when I went into a craft store in July and they already had christmas crap layed out. I can let that go, I mean as a crafter myself, I have to start planning earlier than most, what I am going to give out for the Holidays. July, really??

I am not a fan of the over commercialization of the season. I think that it should be about spending time with family and friends. It has been pounded into our heads that we have to get things for the holidays, and we have to give better than we get. This means that a ton of you bastards are taking out loans just to buy crap that people aren't going to remember 2 months later. I hate the fact that people feel the need to trample other members of our species for intelligent bits of plastic. I don't like the fact that businesses feel the need to open in the middle of the night so people can cram into their stores and buy smelly bath sets.

I am one of those strange people. I tend to make my presents every year. I do buy a few things because nothing says "Thanks for pushing me out of your vagina" like another set of ornaments. But I like to think of who I am making gifts for. I like to envision that person when I go nuts with glitter and glue. And I love to see thier faces when they get a gift of art for a present. Those slippers pale in comparison. I don't want huge over-priced crap for the holidays. I want to be able to spend time with my friends and family, and pig out on the food that everyone only makes once a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment